Mandeville Primary School became part of the Government’s Primary Capital Programme in 2008 and a building project was developed to expand and upgrade the building, doubling the size of the school which will provide 480 school places for St Albans. The first building was demolished in July 2010. Within days all work ceased when budgetary cuts were made by Herts County Council. No work was done at all over the summer whilst the programme was reduced and replanned.
After hearing the extent of the cuts parents have launched MANDAID a major fundraising initiative, which hopes to ensure that the excellent quality facilities that had been planned become a reality for their own children and for many hundreds of children in the future.
“With a £1 milllion package of cuts to the building project, we, the parents, are stepping in to raise money for key features that are now missing from the scheme. This is an opportunity for us to make sure that important areas within the school project can be completed, to maximise the learning experience of present and future Mandeville children.”
What is MANDAID raising money for?
The most significant loss for the children is the covered learning area at the front of classrooms. This large outdoor classroom is key to introducing children to a wide range of learning that isn’t possible indoors.
So as not to lose this outdoor learning facility, the parents have committed to raising the £40,000 needed to have this area constructed. In addition, they are also working towards having some of the other key parts of the project reinstated through fundraising and grant applications. These include:
- Solar panels and a water harvesting system, key sustainability features of the project
- Key learning features, including children’s water and energy meter displays
- Key Stage 1 imaginative reading area
- Library shelving
- Food technology facilities
- External features, including play equipment and social seating
How can I help/get involved?
We would like to get more parents as well as members of the wider community involved in this effort. After all, we are building a school for the future of all Mandeville children, present and future.
- You can subscribe to the PTA mailing list where we will contact you from time to time about forthcoming events and fund-raising activities.
- Anyone can easily support us by doing ther normal online shopping via our webshop at www.buy.at/MandevillePTA. When going via our shop, we earn a commission on all purchases you make. You can also find further information about our webshop here.
- You can contact the pta if you have a fund-raising idea, want to help during our events or work in/run a business that might be able to support us
- Bring in old mobile phones you no longer need. It's a great fundraiser for us. You could even organise your own collection and bring the phones in to us. Find out more about mobile phone collection here.