Home Page

Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Information Report

Mandeville Primary School’s Local Offer provides information for parents, carers and those who support children with SEND.  


This is an inclusive school and we ensure that all pupils are included in every aspect of school life. We aim to encourage all children, regardless of their SEND, to make the best possible progress and we seek to remove the barriers to learning and participation that can hinder and exclude individual pupils, or groups of pupils.  At Mandeville we believe learning should be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for everyone.  Our teaching aims to equip children with the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to make informed choices about the important things in their lives and to take responsibility for their own learning. 


The Inclusion Co-ordinator (InCo) with responsibility for all aspects of SEND is Mrs Laura Williams. The class teaching teams work closely with the InCo to ensure that the SEND of children in their class are planned for effectively and reviewed regularly.


How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have SEND?


We believe that early identification of needs is both an essential and positive process, resulting in prompt action to address individual difficulties.


Children can be identified with SEND in a number of ways:


  • Through a referral from a GP, a Health Visitor, a paediatrician, the Speech and Language service, the Educational Psychology service or other specialist advisors.
  • By class teachers and other staff who identify pupils who are not making good progress in their learning
  •  By parents and carers raising a concern about their child’s behaviour or progress
  • By your child making adults aware that they are experiencing difficulties or need further support


If you have a concern about your child you should speak to the class teacher as soon as possible.


How will I know how my child is doing?


Class teachers, supported by the InCo, regularly and rigorously review children’s progress. There are Parent Consultation evenings in each term, dates for which are in the school diary.


In every year group there are a variety of individual and small group interventions in place to meet children’s identified needs and boost their progress. If any interventions are planned for your child, the class teacher will ask you to meet to discuss this and to sign your child’s Personal Learning Record (PLR) which is a record of the school’s provision for them. This process is repeated each term in which your child has a PLR and you should expect to meet the teacher each time to review your child’s progress, to discuss any further provisions to be made for them and sign a new PLR where necessary.


For some children, the review may identify further concerns and the school may then, with your consent, make a referral to an outside agency such as the Speech and Language service, the Education Psychology service or other external professionals. They would then provide support and advice both for you and the school about how best to support your child to make progress. The support the school plans for your child is summarised in an Individual Action Plan (IAP) which includes essential information about your child’s needs, the advice received, the outcomes that the child is working towards and the detailed steps to be taken both by the school and you at home. This IAP will be reviewed by the class teacher with you as often as is necessary but at least once per term.


If the school, in discussion with you, has sufficient concerns about your child’s needs then we will work together to make a request to the local authority for statutory assessment.


How will school staff support my child?


We recognise that there is a continuum of SEND requiring a continuum of provision and that your child’s needs may change over time, be long or short term and may take a variety of forms. Support for individual children therefore varies considerably according to their needs but is always set in the context of:


  • the school’s consistently high expectations for individual progress and achievement for all,
  • the school’s commitment to promoting self-esteem and skills for developing independence, and
  • the need of all children to access a broad and balanced curriculum through engaging learning opportunities.


How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?


The class teacher leads the provision for all children in their class and will follow the school’s procedures for monitoring progress, identifying needs and co-ordinating provision to meet those needs. A systematic approach of assessing, planning, implementing and reviewing is integral to the process of precisely meeting the needs of children with SEND. An overview of all the provision in place for a class is recorded on a class Provision Map which is constantly reviewed and updated by the class teacher and used as a working document to ensure that it reflects the current support in place.


The class teacher and the InCo work closely together to review the class provision to ensure that it is precisely matched to need, barriers to learning are identified and tackled and the impact of interventions is maximised.

There is a school governor for SEND who is fully informed about SEND issues and oversees the school’s work for children with SEND to ensure the quality of provision is regularly monitored.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?


Support is provided by our class teaching teams including the Class Teachers, Learning Mentors and Teaching Assistants whose roles include the pastoral care of the children in their classes and year groups. In addition there is a Children’s Support Worker whose role includes working with children and parents to remove barriers to learning that are linked to behaviour, social and emotional needs.


The school adheres to the statutory guidance ’Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions’ and all medication is kept in a secure place and is only administered by designated people. If your child has medical needs, an individual care plan will be written jointly with you to ensure that the school has a full understanding of your child’s needs and that they are planned for. This plan is reviewed at least annually.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?


The school has good links with external professionals including the Speech and Language and Educational Psychology teams and works closely with them to support children in the school.


What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or plan to have?


We ensure that all members of our teaching teams receive the CPD they need in order to provide high quality teaching and learning. The weekly staff meetings are always focussed on an area of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and we identify further training and development needs via the annual Performance Management process. Training is refreshed regularly and training opportunities planned so that staff have an up to date working knowledge to meet the needs of the children they are supporting. All staff receive Safeguarding training which is updated regularly and the Head teacher and the Deputy are the Designated Senior Person (DSP) and the Deputy DSP for Safeguarding concerns. There are a number of trained first aiders and an established set of procedures for managing medical needs which are reviewed regularly. 


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?


Quality First Teaching in the classroom is the most important ingredient to support your child’s learning. The class teacher is the leader of the provision for all children in their class and will constantly review and monitor your child’s progress. Parent Consultation Meetings are held each term to keep you fully informed about your child’s progress and an annual report is written for each child in the Summer Term. You will also be involved in reviews of your child’s Personal Learning Record or Individual Action Plan and discussion with the teacher will guide you on how to support your child’s learning.


Each year the school may provide a number of briefing sessions for parents on the following areas: Phonics, Reading, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar, Numeracy.


We are supported through the West Herts Partnership by a Family Support Worker who has access to a wide range of support from local agencies and services and is able to signpost parents effectively.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?


Apart from Parent Consultations once each term, teachers have an ‘open door’ policy where parents are welcome to speak to them before or after school to pass on a message or some essential information. Alternatively, a meeting can be planned if a longer discussion is needed and parents can speak to the teacher directly to arrange this or contact the school office. If your child has SEND you will be regularly invited to discuss and plan for your child’s education through reviews of their PLR or IAP or Statement/EHCP.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?


We aim to include all children in every aspect of school life. For school trips a thorough risk assessment is done to ensure that all aspects of safety are thought through and planned for accordingly. Where trips, visits or events are run by external providers we also ensure they have up to date risk assessments and that they are made aware of the necessary information for your child so that they support them in a sensitive and appropriate manner.


How accessible is the school environment?


The school is fully compliant with the Equality Act and reasonable adjustments are made for all children with SEND where necessary. The building is wheelchair accessible and has disabled changing and toilet facilities. If your child needs any specialised equipment we will seek advice from the appropriate medical and health professionals. The school has a number of staff members who speak a number of languages and we are happy to use interpreters as necessary to ensure that we can communicate effectively with parents whose first language is not English.


Who can I contact for further information?


Mrs Keating is the school Inclusion Co-ordinator (InCO) and she can be contacted by telephone or via the school email address.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education?


The school plans transition to meet the needs of the child, taking into account their age and stage of education. For children who need additional preparation for a change of class, we may plan a personalised programme. Teaching teams carry out a thorough briefing for the new class team to ensure that all necessary information is shared from one year to the next.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special needs?


Within its overall budget the school has an amount identified as the notional SEND budget. The school ensures that it has the most effective level of support available to meet children’s needs including teachers, Teaching Assistants, specialist equipment and books. The budget is also used to provide any professional development or specialised training for staff. Where a child requires provision which exceeds the nationally prescribed threshold, additional top-up finding can be applied for through the local authority (Exceptional Needs Funding).


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?


If your child needs support over and above Quality First Teaching, the amount and type of support will be planned precisely, taking into account their needs, barriers to learning, stage of development, your views, their own views and through consultation with you. Interventions typically last between 1 and 2 terms with the emphasis being on early identification, precise planning and targeted effective support to minimise any long term need for additional support.


How can I find information about the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?


The authority’s local offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEND can be accessed at